Sunday, June 13, 2010



Another Week...

Well, another week has past. I can't believe how many great experiences we have each and everyday. This week we had a lot of rain, in fact the road to Keokuk was closed due to a large mud slide. That was interesting. They boys and I were able to meet the mission President and his wife. They are wonderful people. We had some interesting people come into the store this week. There were a couple of good old country boys from Arkansas. They had the longest mullets I have ever seen! They said, "Them there guns ain't gonna kill nuttin on my properrrrrty! Them guns don't do nuttin compared to Dave's gun's" I was trying so hard not to laugh. They had their wrangler jeans on and total buck teeth. I just love the diversity out here. Isn't it great that Heavenly Father created such a variety of EVERYTHING? We were able to spend a little bit of time Saturday night with Collette (Covey) Johnston, one of my young women,and her husband. It was fun to share some of Nauvoo with her. They were only able to stay a short time, but I loved every minute of it. We also wentto the Visitor's Center and saw Sister Stephanie Sorensen. It is always fun to see people from home. (Me, Kyle, Collette) (Logan, Sis. Sorensen, AJ)















We had some guest's staying with us this week. Their name's are the Clark's. I was telling them how touched I was the first time I went to Lucy Mack Smith's home. He shared with me that his great-great grandfather was the man who built that home for Lucy. It was a humble experience. I am grateful for those pioneers who took such good care of each other and for Brother Clark's grandfather who built a home for my grandmother. Thank-you! (Brother Clark and me)














One of my boys needed a blessing this week. TheYoung Men's president came over and gave the most incredible blessing. It was so wonderful. I was touched deeply by the things he said and the spirit that filled the room. I could not help but think of those great pioneers who asked for many blessings and the prophet entering their homes and blessing them. The faith of those men
and women was so strong. I feel it every day as I walk the streets of Nauvoo. I am grateful for the opportunity to walk in their footsteps. This week there were some ladies that came into the art gallery. They saw a beautiful piece of artwork that depicted the first vision. They asked, "Why did that boy see two people?" I watched as my dear friend was able to explain that we believe that he saw God our Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ. This happens all the time and we are able to bear testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. It is amazing. The spirit is alive and well here in Nauvoo.

Tonight we went to the Young Ambassador's fireside. It was amazing. The spirit was wonderful. I loved the messages that were shared and the songs that were sung. None of the performers knew who would be speaking. They just sing and then their director whispers a name and that is who has to bear testimony. Each testimony was touching. These young people are so filled with light. I enjoyed every minute of it. We were sitting in the chapel. I was so touched to turn around and see the entire chapel and cultural hall filled with missionaries. For the first time in my life I thought, "I want to wear one of those tags too." It is fun to associate with the missionaries every day.

I know that this is a sacrifice for the boys. They are away from their family, friends, dog and everything that is comfortable to them. Basically they left behind everything to come here. They had no clue what they would find or the challenges they might face. They truly are living pioneers. I am in awe when I think of my own ancestors that did the very same thing when they went west. This experience is truly a test of faith. Each day we face new challenges and just keep taking steps forward. Each of us is learning day by day to trust in the Lord. I know that my faith has been strengthened. We work hard everyday. We come home tired and hungry. The weather is hot and very humid and I have really bad hair days, but I am so grateful for this opportunity. I hope that someday, probably when my children are very old, they will look back on this experience with fond memories. I hope one day they will cherish the summer that the three of us shared a bedroom and slept shoulder to shoulder in the top room of Willard Richard's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment