Friday, June 11, 2010

Let the Journey Begin






There are a lot of people who say I am crazy, but that has never stopped me from doing what I do anyway. I packed up our things along with AJ and Logan. We drove for what seemed like forever. when we arrived at our first hotel, tears were streaming down my cheeks and I wanted so desperately to turn around and go home, but I knew in my heart that was not an option. I also knew that I would never live in Platte, Nebraska. The next morning we drove to Burlington, Iowa. We would have just driven into Nauvoo, Illinois, but the Hughes Brother's were in town and all rooms and hotels were full, thus we decided to hang out in Burlington. The hotel was clean and nice and most of all there was a Target AND a Walmart. The boys and I had a nice dinner and felt a whole lot better. Who doesn't feel better with a nice hot plate of buttermilk pancakes? We had a slow morning and then onto Nauvoo!

We are living at the Willard Richard's Inn. If none of you have been here you must come. There is so much history to the house and it is amazing what took place within these walls. Even though we are thousands of miles from home, we feel that this is home. AJ is working everyday at Zion's Mercantile. He stocks the shelves, prices items, sets up displays and most of all helps customers. Logan works at the Gallery, putting backs on pictures and wiring them. He also works at the Mercantile doing some of the same things AJ does. Every afternoon you can see Logan take his break with a vanilla soft serve cone in his hand. Oh how that boy loves ice cream. I am working at the Mercantile, yes I am pretty much Harriett Olsen, but a nice, friendly version. I also work at the Gallery and the Willard Richard's Inn. Each morning Karen and I prepare breakfast for our guests and then head in to town to fulfill our other responsibilities. AJ says that everyday is Groundhog Day, but we are loving it.

Sunday was great. We went to our new ward, which is very different from our home ward. i stand out like a sore thumb, a shiny sore thumb, but a sore thumb none the less. The people are so humble and nice. They were very welcoming. After church we drove along the river looking at the turtles all out sunbathing. We walked to the Stone Bridge and took a few photos and then to another waterfall. The boys chased the Canadian Geese and had a great time trying to catch them. They found a frog at the Old Nauvoo Cemetary and then had to chase a bat from a cellar. They have taken up a new hobby. Last week they found an old racoon trap. They are bound and determined to catch a racoon, so out in the trees on the corner of the property is a trap just waiting for some coon to step in. I have no idea what they will do if they catch one, but it is sure fun to watch them. We have deer every night on the property. They aren't like the deer at home, these are healthy and beautiful. It is amazing how peaceful the yard is and how much wild life is here. I am getting pretty brave when it comes to frogs and bats...well a little brave.

One of the funnest things is meeting the people. Earlier this week we had the nicest couple from England stay at the hotel. We fell in love with them. It was fun to hear about the experiences they had each day. The boys carried their luggage to and from their room and had a great time talking with them. They were heading back to their hometown to enjoy their grandchildren. They are the nicest couple. It was hard to say good bye to them. At the Inn the most amazing woman and her daughter stayed with us, Charlene and Jeanene. Charlene has always wanted to come to Nauvoo and never been able. Her sweet daughter brought her here and they spent a week with us. I was so touched at the love they shared. Each night they would share their experiences of the day with us and Karen would share some of the very special events that took place here in the home. It was great. On Tuesday the boys and I went to the temple. They boys were scheduled to do some baptisms. When we entered the temple our bishop from home was there. It was so wonderful to see Bishop Smith and his son Dane. The boys went downstairs to do their baptisms and I was able to take the Bishop and his family on a private tour of the Willard Richard's Inn. That was a lot of fun.

Everyday I am blessed to learn more and more of the significant events that transpired in this great city. The more I fall in love with Nauvoo, the more I dread the end of the summer when I will have to leave. Yes, I miss my husband, family, friends, bed and shopping, but I would give it all up again to have this remarkable experience. I will be eternally grateful to my dear friend Karen and our new friends the Kennedy's for allowing us to have this experience and most of all I thank my Heavenly Father everyday. Each morning the boys and I get to walk where the prophet walked and we feel his presence in Nauvoo. Many times the Holy Ghost has born witness to us of the Prophet Joseph. I have especially come to love my great-great-great grandfather Hyrum. I meet cousins everyday and know that Joseph and Hyrum are rejoicing that family has returned and been reunited here in Nauvoo. We are truly blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Really long time-no see. (Tina Thurber Erekson's daughter). I'm glad to see you are starting a blog! It is so fun! But even more, so glad that you are living in a place that I used to call home. I attended the Joseph Smith Academy when it still existed and lived there for 4 months. I love it there. Have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, I am so happy to read about your experiences! Keep them coming! I'm proud of you for being so brave!

    Love ya,

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete