Tuesday, June 22, 2010


Every Week Is a Learning Experience...

This has been a really wild week. There have been many ups and downs. Sometimes it is so hard here that I want to cry and just when I think I am going to loose total control, I receive a tender mercy. This week we had a crazy day at the mercantile. There was a cute little family that came into the merc. The kids had saved there money to purchase their own souvenirs. It was such a difficult decision for them since it was their hard earned money they were spending. After much turmoil, they all decided on their trinkets. One of the little boys asked, "When is Father's Day?" The mother answered, "Oh my goodness, it is tomorrow. I think weshould get dad a tie tack so that he has a gift here in Nauvoo." Everyone pitched in to purchase the gift. About 30 minutes later, one of the little boys came back into the store. We have two sizes of post cards, small ones for .55 and large ones for 2.25. I asked him if he forgot something. He said, " I want to buy a post card for my dad for Father's Day." He had a big grin on his face and I could tell he was so proud to use his own money to buy the treasured gift. He chose a big post card. I rang it up and the total was 2.32. I said, "That will be $2.32." As I went to take his money, I noticed that he had carefully placed 5 dimes and a nickel on the counter. His countenance dropped and this big green eyes looked as if they would overflow with tears at any moment. I just couldn't let this little boy leave with a broken heart. I knew this was his very own money and he must have loved his father so much to come back to purchase the gift. I quickly said, "Wait a minute, that can't be right. I think that this machine rang that up wrong." I quietly changed the price in the computer to .55 and took 4 pennies from the counter to complete the sale. I had a hard time holding back the tears as I bagged the gift and watched this freckled face little boy, proudly walk out clenching his father's gift. Oh, if his father only knew how much this little boy loved him. It was one of the best moments of my week.

The Young Ambassadors have been in Nauvoo for
the past two weeks. It has been so much fun getting to know them and having them bring their families into town. From the first time we heard them sing we were all impressed with a darling blonde girl, with perfect pitch, Kate. What a doll. Kate's mom, aunt and grandmother were all in town and we loved serving them at the hotel. We were able to attend their last performance and quickly snapped a shot with Kate and her cute mom. We will miss them here in Nauvoo. They brought us great joy while they were here.

Last night we were under a tornado watch. We had horrible rains and floods. We had to quickly close the store and restaurant and race home. We only had to run about 10 feet to get in the car, but by the time we did that, both Karen and I looked like river rats. We did not know whether to laugh or cry. We were wet, cold and alittle bit scarred. The thunder and lightning continued all night. When it lightnings here the entire room lights up. It is pretty amazing, but also pretty scary. Gotta love the mid west!

Today, the boys and I went to Burlington, Iowa for our day off. It was fun to spend time away from the store. The boys found a tornado tunnel. You pay $2.00 and step inside this tunnel and experience 95 mile per hour winds. It was pretty funny to watch. They had fun. While in Burlington, we were at the store which is located right off the freeway. We looked up on the freeway and there were about 30 tractors just driving in a line on the freeway. Some had ladies holding umbrellas and all were shiny and looked new. Well, we came to find out that it was Tractor Days in Burlington...once again...gotta love the mid-west.



No comments:

Post a Comment