Monday, August 9, 2010


Well...it has been one week since I have been home from Nauvoo. I never thought it would be an adjustment, but it has. It is hard being home. There is a part of me that still wants to be in Nauvoo. I have a yearning that calls me back. It is a yearning to be close to those who have gone before and left such a heritage. I will remember them always. I will also remember those we left behind in Nauvoo. We met some great people there and it was hard to say goodbye to them. Each one touched our lives in a very special way, but there is one person that is extra special to us. Karen is the most amazing women. She is extra special. She put up with us for 8 weeks. She loved us unconditionally. She listened, laughed, shared, cried and loved with us. Each morning she and I would put on her aprons...I say her because she shared them with me...and serve the guests at the inn. I called them our uniforms. She would share anything. She is what I would call an angel on earth. She taught us so many important lessons. Lessons that changed lives. Lessons we all needed to learn. She is a saint. I can't help but compare her to Emma. Dear, sweet Emma was faced with trial and tribulation after trial and tribulation. She continued to give and sacrifice all that she had. This is Karen. She gives and gives and then gives some more. There is a story told about Emma standing at her second story window waving a red table cloth to her children as they crossed the Mississippi to the Montrose side. Emma would never cross the river. They knew her love as she waved good bye with her red table cloth. When they would come to visit her, she would once again wave the red table cloth so that they could see her waiting for them. She welcomed them with open arms. She also had to wave good bye to her friends and loved ones as they pointed their wagons west and began their journey. Karen has had to say good bye to many loved ones as they too point their vehicles of transportation west and head home. It was so difficult when AJ and I had to leave and head west. We have a work to do here in the west and it broke our hearts to leave Dear Karen in the East. Like Emma, Karen remains faithful and strong, doing what she can to build the kingdom in beautiful Nauvoo. It is not easy and often lonely. If anyone knows Karen she doesn't have a red table cloth to wave, but is always willing to welcome you back with open arms. The scriptures say that Emma was an elect lady. I revere Karen with the same title. We love you my friend. You will always have a place in our hearts. I will stand in the west waving my tablecloth for you as I anxiously await your arrival. God Bless You!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment